Monday, October 22, 2007

Womanhood - modern v outdated

"We read books to find out who we are." Ursula K LeGuin.

"Life's too short to stuff a mushroom." Shirley Conran 1975

"I think it's important to define my/our domestic activity in the terms of today's world and not always with reference to the past." Jane Brocket 2007

flowers in vase

I could say a lot about the Yarnstorm/Telegraph/Women's Hour controversy. There are any number of strands to the debate: one of which is whether we should be trying to live up to a thirty year old version of womanhood espoused by Shirley Conran in her book "Superwoman".

One of my female role models has a doctorate in computing and a City and Guilds in machine embroidery. That just about sums it up for me.

PS I think I'll get Jane's book.

1 comment:

Skein Queen said...

I agree with you - why should intellectualism and domesticity be mutually exclusive. Though I do like to pick and choose what type of domesticity ie knitting over cleaning!